1. Emeritus Status. PTCB permits eligible, inactive certificants, who are no longer practicing pharmacy technicians, to request either Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) or Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation Technician® (CSPT®) Emeritus Status. Emeritus Status allows inactive and retired certificants to maintain a status of professional distinction. The Emeritus Status designation represents that the former certificants are not actively working as PTCB CPhTs or CSPTs. The designation is not a credential for practice.
2. Emeritus Status Eligibility.
3. Emeritus Status Requirements and Fees. Certificants granted Emeritus Status are not required to satisfy PTCB recertification requirements, including continuing education (CE), or pay certification renewal fees. An Emeritus Status applicant is required to apply through their PTCB Account and pay the nonrefundable Emeritus application fee.*
4. Emeritus Status Recognition and Program Participation. Certificants granted Emeritus Status will be recognized in the PTCB directory of inactive certificants, and will be entitled to participate in PTCB Certification Program activities.
5. Emeritus Status Designation and Marks. Certificants granted Emeritus Status will be permitted to use the PTCB Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) or Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation Technician (CSPT) Emeritus Status designation and trademarks in both word and design formats. The Emeritus Status designation and marks may be displayed on a former certificant’s resume and similar materials, as long as the years of active PTCB Certification are identified with the designation.
Examples of proper use of Emeritus Status designation:
PTCB CPhT Emeritus (CPhT 2000-2010)
CSPT Emeritus (CSPT 2017-2020)
Certificants granted Emeritus Status are not permitted to display or otherwise use the PTCB Certified Pharmacy Technician and CPhT or Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation Technician and CSPT credentials and certification marks unless they have qualified for active PTCB certification status consistent with all PTCB policies and requirements.
6. Additional Emeritus Status Policy Requirements. Certificants granted Emeritus Status must abide by the PTCB Code of Conduct and other applicable PTCB policies in order to maintain Emeritus Status. Failure to comply with such policies and rules may result in sanctions and corrective actions, including the loss of Emeritus Status.
7. Return to Active Certification Status. Certificants granted Emeritus Status who return to active pharmacy technician activities and wish to use the CPhT or CSPT credential in conjunction with such work must do one of the following.
a. Those who are within the certification expiration date that was in effect at the time of status change may have their certification status reactivated by petitioning PTCB in writing.
b. Those who are within the reinstatement period that was in effect at the time of the status change must seek reinstatement according to PTCB policies, including completing the requisite continuing education, applying for reinstatement, and paying all applicable fees.
c. Those who are outside of the reinstatement period that was in effect at the time of the status change must complete all certification requirements anew.
*CPhTs who also hold a CSPT certification and apply for CPhT Emeritus Status will automatically be granted Emeritus Status for both Certifications. CSPTs who apply for CSPT Emeritus may still hold an active CPhT Certification.