PTCB CPhTs are required to renew their certification every 2 years to maintain their credential. Recertification ensures that pharmacy technicians stay up-to-date in pharmacy practice through the completion of continuing education (CE).
Renewal Process Schedule
CPhTs can apply for renewal when their application window is open. An application window opens 60 days prior to the certification’s expiration date. CPhTs who do not recertify by the expiration date are no longer certified and must apply for reinstatement within 1 year of certification expiration to resume active status.
Continuing Education (CE)
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours of CE during your 2-year recertification period, including:
- CE hours earned must be in pharmacy technician-specific subject matter as outlined in the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination Content Outline or offered by ACPE-accredited providers with the target audience designation “T.”
Note: CE hours can only be applied to the recertification cycle in which they are completed, and cannot be carried over and applied to future cycles.
In addition to the requirements listed for recertification, reinstatement candidates must complete 1 additional hour of CE in pharmacy law.
Recertification & Reinstatement Fees
|CPhT Recertification (every 2 years)
|Late Application Processing Fee*
*Any recertification application received after the Application Deadline, which is the first day of the certification expiration month, will be assessed a $25 late application fee, in addition to the required recertification application fee.
**Applies each time an application is returned for corrections.
How to Apply for Renewal
PTCB’s streamlined renewal process, launched in 2019, offers faster CE tracking and application approvals for CPhTs. CPhTs must have an NABP e-Profile ID on file with PTCB before they recertify.
The streamlined process:
- eliminates the need to manually enter CE information that is already tracked in the CPE Monitor
- allows for instant approval of recertification/reinstatement applications
- reduces potential delays when applying
Apply By Logging In
A link to submit your application for recertification will appear on your PTCB Account homepage beginning on your application submission window opening date, 60 days prior to your certification expiration date.
Earn, Verify, Check
- Earn CE hours during your 2-year renewal cycle.
- Verify that your NABP e-Profile ID appears in your PTCB Account.
- With an NABP e-Profile, you can enter and track completed CE hours in CPE Monitor, a database of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) and ACPE. Create your NABP e-Profile on NABP’s website. Be sure to add your PTCB Certification Number to the Credentials section of your NABP e-Profile.
- Check that you have met all CE requirements and your CE hours are recorded correctly in CPE Monitor.
- CPhTs who have tracked their completed continuing education (CE) hours in CPE Monitor do not have to enter their CEs on the PTCB application.
- If you completed CEs that are not in CPE Monitor, you must manually enter your CE activities in your application.
Apply, Attest, Submit
- Apply by logging into your PTCB Account.
- Attest that you’ve completed PTCB’s renewal requirements and your CE activities are in CPE Monitor.
- Submit your renewal application along with the renewal fee payment. Once your payment is processed, your application will be approved, subject to review.
PTCB Reviews Your Application
- If you attest that all of your CEs are in CPE Monitor, your application will be approved as soon as your payment clears and application is submitted. You will receive notice of approval within 5-10 minutes.
- After the initial approval, PTCB will review and verify CE hours. If there are any discrepancies in your application, you may be contacted to provide supporting documentation. If you manually enter all of your CEs, you will wait up to 2 weeks while your application is reviewed.