PTCB has recently updated the identification requirements for candidates taking the PTCE. Any candidate scheduled after January 1, 2015 must abide by the new requirements for admittance into the test center.
At the test center, candidates are required to present one form of valid, unexpired, government issued ID with a photograph and signature. The first and last name on the candidate's ID must match exactly as it appears in their PTCB Account. The following are approved forms of ID:
- Passport/Passport Card
- Military ID
- Government-Issued Driver's License
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Government-Issued Driving Learner's Permit
- US Department of Homeland Security-Issued Employment Authorization Card
- Official ID issued by a governmental agency (state or federal) to non-drivers (must include photo)
- Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas Issued by the United States
If the primary form of ID does not include a signature, candidates must present a valid unexpired secondary form of ID that contains the candidate’s first and last name and includes a signature. The following are examples of secondary forms of ID:
- Social Security Card
- Credit Card
- ATM/Debit Card
- Employee/School ID
If a candidate presents an expired driver’s license AND a receipt for renewal, but has not yet received the license, they will be permitted to test as long as the renewal receipt has not expired. If the renewal receipt is expired, the candidate will not be permitted to test. Temporary licenses are acceptable with all required elements (contains photo or accompanied by the expired license)
Pearson VUE test center staff will match the name on your ID to the name in their system (your name as it appears within your PTCB Account). The name on your ID must match exactly, with a few exceptions:
- A hyphen is used on one document but not on another. (Disregard the hyphen). Example: Sarah Johnson Wells OR Sarah Wells are both acceptable matches for Sarah Johnson-Wells
- Sara Johnson and Sara Myers are individually acceptable as the same person when compared to Sara Johnson-Myers, Sara Johnson Myers, Sara Myers-Johnson, and Sara Myers Johnson because one of the names, either the registration or the ID, has both last names.
- Sara Johnson is not acceptable as Sara Myers without an original marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other legal documentation of a name change since neither name contains both the candidate’s current and former last name.
- Sara Johnson Myers is acceptable for Sara Johnson without an original marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other legal documentation of a name change. If the candidate’s maiden and last names are on their ID, it is acceptable regardless of the order in which they appear.
- Names with initials and reversed names are acceptable
- E George and Evan George are acceptable discrepancies
- Evan G and G Evan are acceptable discrepancies
- Evan George and George Evan are acceptable discrepancies
- Evan G and George Evan are acceptable discrepancies, as are G Evan and Evan George